Studies show that parental involvement in a child's education is one of the most important factors in raising student self-esteem and achievement.
We realize, however, that each of our families is unique – with its own priorities, needs, talents, and time constraints -- and so we try to provide as many different kinds of opportunities for parental involvement as possible.
Meet Jennifer Vartabedian!
Jennifer is Mary Morrisson’s new Community Coordinator and she has been reaching out to families to make them feel welcome volunteering at our school. Many of the unique experiences our children enjoy at school are a direct result of volunteer time. There are many volunteer opportunities at Mary Morrisson. There is probably one or more that might work for you. If you can help out, just contact Mary Morrisson’s Community Coordinator, Jennifer Vartabedian, in the school office at (860) 449-5655, or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Morrisson is such a special place because of our parent involvement. Please review the volunteer opportunities suggested below, and contact our Community Coordinator or the school office at (860) 449-5655:
- Volunteer to help the school PTO.
- Make copies.
- Share a talent, interest, or hobby.
- Help from home (cutting, stapling, organizing handouts, etc.)
- Chaperone a field trip or event.
- Organize or help out in a special activity or event.
- Library volunteer - Enjoy working in our library at a time that is convenient for you. Parents will be able to assist with book return & re-shelving and book checkout.
- Fundraisers – Twice a year the PTO runs a fundraiser to help support our school and to finance PTO programs. A committee is formed to oversee the project from start to finish and we try to involve as many members as possible and to make it fun in the process.
- Book Fair – We will try to plan for this big fundraiser for Mary Morrisson if we can get enough help! It is always fun for the kids! Books are creatively displayed in the Library. Parent volunteers will be needed to assist in set-up, cashiering, assisting class visits, and/or clean up. Please let us know if we can count on you to help out. The kids love the Book Fair!
GPS welcomes volunteers while implementing our Board of Education policies to ensure student safety.
Volunteers are needed and are always greatly appreciated. If you are interested in volunteering for 1 hour, 1 day or even help at home please contact our school office at 860-449-5655.
The Groton BOE has updated the district policy for volunteers with the following new procedure:
1. Each volunteer or chaperone must register in the school office. A volunteer information form and waiver must be filled out each year.
2. Each time you volunteer or chaperone you must stop into the school office, sign in, and wear a volunteer badge while in the building.
Volunteers who anticipate working in the school more than 50 hours must complete a background check. Please ask Mrs. Lyon, in the office, if you have any questions!