School-Based Health Care (SBHC)
In Groton, a School-Based Health Center is located at Groton Middle School as well as at Fitch High School, Claude Chester Elementary School, Catherine Kolnaski STEAM Magnet Elementary School, and Mary Morrisson Elementary School. The school district’s community partner, Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut, operates the five centers.
- A School-Based Health Center (SBHC) is different from the school nurse’s office and your community primary care doctor, but works in collaboration with them.
- Students must attend a school where a SBHC is located and be signed up for services by a parent/legal guardian.
- Health insurance is billed for services provided, but there is no cost to the family (no co-pays, deductible costs, or out-of-pocket expenses).
- Each School-Based Health Center has a Nurse Practitioner (APRN) and a Masters level Mental Health Clinician.
You can find registration forms at the School-Based Health Center, in your school nurse’s office, or at the Welcome Center. Or, you can register online:
HOw to CONTACT US:
If you have any questions regarding SBHC services or to schedule a medical appointment, please call our administrative office and our front desk staff will assist you!
Administrative Office: (860) 437-4555.
SBHC services are available year-round!
To contact one of our Groton Middle School APRN's or Mental Health Clinician's, please call the GMS Main Number at 860-446-4200 and enter the extension listed below.
Anne Ravenscroft, APRN: x34233
Amanda Frechette, Mental Health Clinician: x34239
Kyrah Augmon-Bossa: Mental Health Clinician x34236
GMS SBHC Fax: 860-445-0415
Medical Services Provided:
Well-Child Care (Physical Exams)
- New-entry to school district
- Annual school physicals
- Sports participation physicals
- Camp or work physicals
- Required for school (e.g.: IPV, Tdap, MMR, etc.)
- Recommended by American Academy of Pediatrics (e.g.: Flu, HPV, Menactra)
Acute Care Visits
- Colds, URI, strep throat, conjunctivitis, etc.
Refer for primary care provider(s) & HUSKY medical insurance
Chronic Conditions Education & Management
- Weight management (nutrition and physical activity counseling)
- Collaboration with student's community primary care provider
- Mental Health Screens
Mental Health Services Provided:
- Pyscho-Social Assessments, Diagnosis and written treatment plans
- Crisis Intervention
- Education on mental health topics and classroom presentations (pyschoeducation)
- Consultation to school staff
- Referral to community mental health services