About Our STEAM Magnet Theme
CKMS provides engaging learning opportunities in STEM with technology and arts integration. We value creativity and innovation while helping all students to discover passions and develop a life long love of learning."
- Christine Dauphinais, Principal of Catherine Kolnaski STEAM Magnet School
CKMS provides students a strong foundation through STEAM based experiences, classes, units, lessons and opportunities to engage in real world problem solving using a multidisciplinary approach and the integration of technology and the arts. In addition to problem solving, an emphasis is placed on providing students an opportunity to express their creativity, and discover talents and passions that lead to lifelong learning.
This is our 9th year as a STEAM magnet school.
- Our school is a beautiful building designed to support the arts and technology.
- Our campus is located in a private wooded setting, surrounded by town owned open space. The property features a school garden, hiking trails, and an abundance of wildlife.
We all embrace a STEAM approach that promotes creativity and curiosity through opportunities for all students, regardless of background, ability, or academic performance. and are proud of our diverse school community.
CKMS - STEAM Program Highlights
By providing students opportunities in STEAM we believe our school will help develop the next generation of innovators and creative thinkers. In activating the creative and innovative parts of the brain, students become creators, collaborators, and problem solvers. Our entire community embraces a STEAM approach that promotes student creativity and curiosity by emphasizing project-based and hands-on minds-on learning.
- All K-5 students have guaranteed experiences in:
- Computer Science/Coding
- Additional experiences include:
- Science Fair
- Invention Convention
- Computer Assisted Design Lab (3D Printing)
- Piano Beginning in Grade 1
- Strings Beginning in Grade 2
Our STEAM Programs
Meet Our Partners
CKMS Creates New Partnership with Connecticut Science Center
Classroom Programs and Professional Workshops Will Immerse Teachers and Students in Science Education
The Connecticut Science Center recently visited 2nd grade students to conduct hands on experiments that align to the students' classroom curriculum. Check out the photos and learn more about our new partnership. Read More