CREC Teacher Residency
Groton Public Schools is a partner district in the CREC Teacher Residency Program, an alternate route to elementary certification focused on increasing teachers of color across the state of Connecticut, and will have two placements for the 21-22 school year.
We have tremendous, dedicated committed staff who are not (certified) teachers, but are working in the schools, working in the community and want to be a part of it. Let's give them an opportunity." - Dr. Miguel A. Cardona
Resident candidates will be enrolled in rigorous coursework for 18 months and serve in a paid residency position in a mentor teacher’s classroom for the school year. Residents will work in a partnering district and attend classes virtually and on-site in one of our cohort locations in the Hartford, Hamden, Old Lyme or Trumbull areas.
This program embodies
COLLABORATION Cohorting builds a collaborative environment for residents to grow and excel together.
EQUITY Equity, social justice and antiracism drive our curriculum and training for all participants.
EXCELLENCE Residents work with carefully selected mentors for excellence in training.
COURAGE Residents demonstrate courage as they take on the challenge of an intensive program and a new career path
Resident selection prioritizes potential to work with diverse students and minimizes barriers to traditional certification program admission
Residents participate in courses for 18 months at little to no cost
Coursework is designed by practicing educators and prioritizes skills necessary to be successful in a diverse classroom
Residents work for one year in a partner district under a mentor teacher while receiving pay and benefits
Residents are guaranteed a full-time teaching position in the partner district upon completion of the certification requirements
Residents are eligible to earn CT certification after fourteen months and 90 days of successful teaching in their own classroom
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the field of education
- Experience working with marginalized populations
- Bachelor’s degree required » Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or greater*
- *Candidates with an undergraduate GPA below a 3.0 may apply, but must complete a waiver request.
- Residents earn a salary plus benefits (Equivalent to $32,000 from August 2021 – August 2022)
- Elementary education certification
- A guaranteed a full-time teaching position upon completion of the program and certification requirements in the partner district
- Coursework – summer, evening, and some Saturdays for 18 months: June 2021 – December 2022
- Residency – One year in a Mentor Teacher’s classroom for hands-on experience and student teaching: August 2021 – June 2022 »
- Certification – edTPA, Foundation of Reading Test, Praxis II: December 2021 – July 2022 »
- Full-time teaching position and support beginning August 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 5, 2021
Selection will be handled at the RESC level, with placements in Groton and other area districts.